True Companion

In this nosy, noisy world,
I sometimes feel all alone.
I feel the loneliness itself,
Is mocking me in a monotonous tone.

The whole day, I see the sun;
I see the birds in their flight.
But they leave me all alone,
When goes the day and comes the night.

I wish to see happiness around;
Positive people – always glad.
But this hope leaves me alone,
Whenever I see someone sad.

Wherever I go, my shadow follows,
As if a companion true;
But it too leaves me alone at dusk,
When the darkness falls anew.

I feel my prudence beside me,
Invisible, yet effective; like a ghost.
But it leaves me all alone,
At moments when I need it most.

I see the world around me,
The people among whom I live.
But they leave me all alone,
When I don’t have anything to give.

The one who never leaves, is me,
Myself, my memories, my past.
At the risk of sounding self-obsessed, it seems,
I found a true companion at last


P.S.: I started this 'attempt at poetry' on 7th Feb 2006, when I was in class 11. I completed this today, approximately 8 years later.

Comments